If you are curious about what new products Microsoft plans to release in future, it will please you to know that they have now become public knowledge.
The source of the info is Brad Sams, an author who is known for having insider info on upcoming Microsoft products. He has a new book titled “Beneath the Surface” which covers the history and future of Microsoft’s Surface products and also has a chapter on future Surface devices.
According to the author, the following devices are planned for 2019 and 2020:
- Surface-branded ambient computing device – Spring 2019
- Surface Pro with USB-C and smaller bezels – Q4 2019
- Surface Laptop with AMD processor – Q4 2019
- Andromeda foldable tablet with dual screens and LTE – H2 2019
- New Surface Book – Q1 2020
- Surface Monitor/Studio – 2020
There are some devices that we already knew about such as Andromeda which has been in development for a while. It is also interesting to know Microsoft will finally be making the switch to USB-C for the next Surface Pro.
For the Surface Laptop with AMD processors, it appears Microsoft is planning to reduce its dependence on Intel chips. However, there will likely still be Intel versions of the computer.
The 2020 Surface Studio, according to Brad, may be modular, allowing you to swap out the processor and memory for newer ones instead of replacing the whole device.