6GB | 8GB
64GB | 128GB
20 MP + 16 MP (Rear) & 16 MP (Front)
Android 7.1.1 (Nougat)
OnePlus 5 Release
The OnePlus 5 was announced globally on June 20th.
OnePlus held exclusive pop-up launch events in New York (June 20) and (June 21 events) London, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Helsinki, Oulu, Tamepre, Turku, Copenhagen.
In India, OnePlus held four pop-up events for the Oneplus 5 launch in New Delhi (June 23), Bangalore (June 24), Chennai (June 24) and Hyderabad (June 25). With Mumbai starting the launch event on the June 22.
OnePlus released a limited “Soft Gold” edition to its online stores on 07 August 2017, with 6GB RAM and 64GB internals.
On September 22, OnePlus released limited “the Callection” edition starting in Colette, Paris. The limited variant is planned to be released in other pop-ups in Europe. The flagship will powered by a Snapdragon 835 paired with 8GB RAM and 128GB internal storage.
The OnePlus 5 is the company’s most expensive generation so far. The device is powered with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 paired with 8GB LPDDR4X RAM and 128GB internal storage (with UFS 2.1 speeds). The device uses the same AMOLED display found in the OnePlus 3T.
The Smartphone comes with a dual-camera set-up made up of a 20-megapixel sensor, telephoto lens with f/2.6 aperture; with its secondary 16-megapixel sensor with a wide-angle lens and a f/1.7 aperture. The front facing selfie shooter is a 16-megapixel sensor with f/2.0 aperture.
The OnePlus 5 is aimed toward the upper-mid and high-end smartphone market at a relatively competitive price. The device comes with two variants that both provide high-end specifications, such as Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 paired with 8GB RAM. The device starts at a price of $479 (US), €499 (EU), £449 (UK) for the base model and $539 (US), €559 (EU), £499 (UK).
OnePlus has experienced early criticism for the OnePlus 5’s design resembling Apple’s iPhone 7; Carl Pei, OnePlus’ Founder responded to critics saying, “History will repeat itself once people see a real live OnePlus 5.” In context to similar response to OnePlus 3’s design resembling like hybrid of Samsung Galaxy S6 and HTC 10.
Early OnePlus 5 reviewers had also discovered through system information apps that the device have reused the OnePlus 3T’s display. Some users voiced their concern that OnePlus haven’t attempted to upgrade to a ‘better’ display, however it isn’t unusual for companies to reuse preceding components.
Issue Remains – OnePlus 5 scrolling issues – Software frame rate and screen refresh rate not syncing. This issue has been identified as a hardware issue due to the inverted position of the display.
Issue Fixed (OTA update) – OnePlus 5 rebooting issues dialling emergency numbers – When dialling numbers such as 911/999/112, the device had ended up restarting itself. This incident has not effected the majority of the devices.
(July 3) OnePlus had released more than two software updates since release day, currently the most notable expected update release will include a fix to WiFi issues and adding EIS for 4k video recording.
(July 20) OxygenOS 4.5.6 hot fix – Fixing “911” reboot bug.
(August 8) 6GB-64GB Soft Gold variant released.
(August 15) 8GB-128GB Slate Gray variant released.
(September 20) OnePlus pop-up event in Paris selling limited edition OnePlus 5.
All videos or content not watermarked by GizmoChina are used under ‘Fair Use’ for discussion.
OnePlus 5 - PRICE
- Giztop - OnePlus 5 (Stock Device) $479
- Oppomart - OnePlus 5 (Stock Device) $459
- Gearbest - OnePlus 5 (Stock Device) $472.99
- Amazon UK - OnePlus 5 (Stock Device) £479.99
OnePlus 5 - SPECIFICATIONS
- ModelONEPLUS A5000
- Type Design Type called form factor refers to a mobile phone's size, shape, and style as well as the layout and position of major components of phone. There are three major form factors seen in mobile phones => bar phones, folding phones and sliding phones.Bar
- Dimensions152.7 x 74.7 x 7.25 mm
- WaterproofWater Resistant (Not-Advertised)
- Display Type Display Technology => A number of display technologies and types used in mobile phones => TFT (Thin Film Transistor), IPS (In-Place Switching), OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode), AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode), Super AMOLED (an even advanced version of AMOLED), Resistive Touchscreen (Resistive touchscreens contain two layer of conductive material with a very small gap between them which acts as a resistance), Capacitive Touchsceen (Capacitive touchscreen technology consists of a layer of glass coated with a transparent conductor)Optic AMOLED
- Size5.5 inch
- Resolution1920 x 1080 (FHD)
- Display Colors Display Colors is refers to the number of different shades of colors that the screen is capable of displaying => 64K colors, 256K colors and 16 million colors, Obviously 16M is highest available range of colors and better than others.16 Million Colors, sRGB, DCI-P3
- Pixel Density Pixel Density (PPI) is refers to the concentration of pixels on a particular display, measured in pixels per inch (ppi). Pixel density is calculated by dividing the diagonal pixel resolution of a display by its diagonal size, higher pixel density better display quality.401ppi
- Touch ScreenYes
- Display Protection Display Protection => Gorilla Glass is a special alkali-aluminosilicate glass shield with exceptional damage resistance that helps protect mobile displays from scratches, drops, and bumps of everyday use, It is always better to go for a smartphone with Gorilla Glass for that added protection and peace of mind.Corning Gorilla Glass 5, 2.5D Glass
- FeaturesCapacitive Touch Screen
- GPU GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is a single-chip processor designed to rapidly manipulate and alter memory to accelerate the creation of images in a frame buffer intended for output to a display, This includes things such as lighting effects, object transformations, and 3D motion.Adreno 540
- RAM (Memory) RAM (Random Access Memory) is a type of computer memory that can be accessed randomly, any byte of memory can be accessed without touching the preceding bytes that allows information to be stored and accessed quickly from random locations. RAM is the most common type of memory found in computer systems, smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices.6GB | 8GB (LPDDR4X)
- Internal Storage Internal Storage is a data storage space (flash memory) mostly used in smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices where operating system, apps, music, photos, videos, files and other user data Is stored.64GB or 128GB (Soft Gold - 64GB Only)
- Memory Card Slot Memory Card Slot is a special slot for inserting a memory card. Memory cards allow you to expand the phone's built-in memory, A memory card (sometimes called a flash memory card or a storage card) is a small storage medium used to store data such as text, pictures, audio, and video, for use on small, portable or remote computing devices such as mobile phones, mp3 players, digital cameras.No
- Sensors Sensors are electronic components that detects and responds to some type of input from the physical environment. The specific input could be light, heat, motion, moisture, pressure and location, The output is generally a signal that is converted to use in computing systems, a location sensor, such as a GPS receiver is able to detect current location of your electronic device.Fingerprint Sensor (Front), Hall Sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, RGB Ambient Light Sensor, Magnetometer, Sensor Hub, RGB LED Notification Light.
- Operating System OS => Every computer system run on a base software called Operating System (OS). Operating System controls all basic operations of the computer (such as smartphone, PDAs, tablet computers and other handheld devices). The Operating System allows the user to install and run third party applications (apps), apps are used to add new functionality to the device.Android 7.1.1 (Nougat)
- User Interface UI or user interface of a device is the look and feel of the on-screen menu system. How it works, its color scheme, how it responds to button presses, all of these things are part of the user interface.OxygenOS 4.5.8 (Current) | OxygenOS 4.5.0 (Base)
- Rear Camera Camera is able to capture photographs and usually videos, The most important characteristics of a camera are the resolution (measured in megapixels), lens focus type (fixed or automatic), higher megapixel cameras are known to capture higher quality photos, but not always a good measurement of the photos quality.20 MP (Telephoto) f/2.6 + 16 MP (Wide-angle) f/1.7
- Flash Flash Light => There is commonly two types of flash lights are used in camera mobile phones, LED Flash (LED flash offers lower power consumption with drive circuitry that takes up very little room, LEDs can be strobed faster than any other light source), Xenon Flash (xenon flash produces an extremely intense full-spectrum white light for a very short duration)Dual LED Flash
- Front Camera16 MP, f/2.0
- SIM SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) is a small card that contains mobile network subscriber's account information. This allows the phone using the card to attach to a mobile network. The SIM card is most commonly associated with GSM and UMTS mobile networks. Moving a SIM card from one phone to another allows a subscriber to switch mobile phones without having to contact their mobile network carrier. SIM cards can also be used by a phone to store limited amounts of data, such as phone numbers and text messages.Nano SIM
- Dual SIMYes
- Wi-fi Wi-Fi is a popular wireless networking technology using radio waves to provide high-speed network connections that allows devices to communicate without cords or cables, Wi-Fi is increasingly becoming the preferred mode of internet connectivity all over the world.2x2 MIMO, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, 2.4G/5G
- USBUSB 2.0, Type-C, Support USB Audio
- GPS GPS The Global Positioning System is a satellite-based radio navigation system, GPS permits users to determine their position, velocity and the time 24 hours a day, in all weather, anywhere in the world, In order to locate your position, your device or GPS receiver must have a clear view of the sky.Yes
- NFC NFC (Near field communication) is a set of standards for smartphones and similar devices to establish peer-to-peer radio communications with each other by touching them together or bringing them into proximity, usually no more than a few inches.
- Headphone Jack
- Video PlaybackPlayback: MKV, MOV, MP4, H.265(HEVC), AVI, WMV, TS, 3GP, FLV, WEBM Recording: MP4